Riversdale Golf Club
J A CAIN has sponsored the Riversdale Golf Club in particular the Riversdale foundation with Managing Director Bryan Cain and Licensed Estate Agent Brendan Cain both members of the club. in 2016 Brendan Cain and his team won the Riversdale Foundation golf day.
The membership of the club continued to grow along with Melbourne’s population. Although the Club’s lease was renewed in 1923 for another seven years, the Committee was still seeking to purchase land to create a permanent home.
In 1924 the Club purchased the St John’s Wood Estate at Burwood. In May 1927 the new course was ready for play. The original course was bisected by a new railway line in 1930, and noted course architect Alex Russell redesigned the course. Since that time, the general layout, although extended at times, has remained virtually unchanged.
The Clubhouse, once the country estate of Sir Redmond Barry, underwent considerable alterations when the Club purchased the land to provide comfortable surroundings for members and further major works were undertaken in 1955. In 2010, the Clubhouse was virtually rebuilt and extended to provide members with superb modern facilities.
The highlight of our golfing calendar is the Riversdale Cup. Its origins date back to 1896 when the first “Surrey Hills Gentlemen’s Championship, Gold Medal” was played. Except for the periods during the first and second World Wars and the two years when new courses were under construction the event has been played annually. This prestigious amateur event is recognised world wide, generating considerable support from top ranked golfers both here and overseas.